If you’re anything like me, you’re probably chowing down on banana coconut muffins twice a day like they’re going out of style. I’m guessing you’re in need of a new treat.
You probably want almond meal meets chocolate chips meets toasted coconut.
You probably want something that tastes like a candy bar since us health nuts are all so the candy bar eating type.
Okay, maybe we’re not the candy bar eating type (unless we’re talking peanut M&M’s). We’re the type that take the idea of a candy bar and make it into something socially acceptable for breakfast. Almond Joy oats. Pay Day oats. Reese’s peanut butter cup baked oatmeal. Whole wheat Twix muffins. I rest my case.
Ummmmmm is it Halloween yet?
No, not yet.
Till then, there’s these.
Almond Joy Bars (gluten-free)
-makes 16 small bars, adapted from Daily Garnish’s Morning Mueseli Bars
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut, toasted
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 5 dates, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp canned coconut milk (or regular milk)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8 x 8 non-stick baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place coconut on a microwave-safe plate and heat for about 1 minute and 30 seconds (stirring every 30 seconds), until golden.
- In a large bowl, combine almond meal, oats, cocoa powder baking soda, salt, cinnamon, almonds, coconut, chocolate chips and dates.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg, coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla and almond extract.
- Pour wet mixture into dry and stir to combine.
- Press down mixture very firmly into baking dish so the bars don’t crumble after cooking. You can line the dish with parchment paper if you have it.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Allow them to cool completely before cutting.
Sweetened with a bit of maple syrup, dates and chocolate chips, these could be breakfast or dessert. Or both. Or dinner, because chocolate for dinner is all the noise right now.
My favorite thing about these bars (besides the awesome taste of course) is the soft center, just like the real candy bar version.
In workout news….
I did three rounds of this workout from pinterest with some tricep dips added in. I definitely broke a sweat even though it was pretty short. This quickie is great if you’re in one of those “the last thing I want to do is workout” moods but you want something fast and effective.
* * *
3 rounds of:
50 jumping jacks
20 mountain climbers
30 second plank
* * *
Then the roommates and I finished off a row and half of almond joy bars and that was that.