Sweet baby cheezus these are tasty.
I was in a serious pickle trying to name these.
Toes and fingers with tofu?
All I know is that they’re chock full of healthified crispy deliciousness and you should probably buy some ‘fu and make them ASAP.
Try them with chicken if you’re feel carnivorous.
Crispy Tofu Fingers
- 1 pound of tofu, drained
- 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup egg whites (or a couple eggs whisked together)
- Whole wheat Italian bread crumbs (recipe below)
Whole Wheat Italian Bread Crumbs:
- 2 slices of whole grain bread, toasted
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- pepper to taste
First, let’s clarify how to drain tofu in order to achieve that fabulous chewiness. Draining tofu helps to remove the moisture that makes tofu mushy. The more water drained, the more flavor and chewiness.
1) Drain the water out of the pack of tofu. Wrap the tofu in a layer of paper towels/dish cloth and place on a plate.
You will probably have to change out the paper towels two or three times (maybe every 30 minutes to an hour) to get out as much water as possible.
2) Put another plate upside down on top of the tofu. Place a few heavy objects on top of the plate. I used a heavy pot with tomatoes inside.
- Drain and press tofu (see above for tutorial).
- Make bread crumbs: Toast bread. Place toasted bread in food processor/blender along with garlic powder, salt, basil, oregano, and paprika. Blend until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Set up your dredging assembly line. Place whole wheat flour, egg whites and bread crumbs in three separate large bowls.
- Slice tofu into 1/4-1/2 inch slices.
- Heat a large skillet with a tbsp of oil over medium heat.
- Dredge tofu in flour, then egg whites, then bread crumbs. Make sure to really press on those bread crumbs on both sides!
- Once pan is hot, add tofu slices. Cook a few minutes on each side, until brown and crispy.
- Add more oil between batches to ensure even crispiness.
If you think you don’t like tofu, I really think these may make you a believer. But I’m sure these would be awesome with shrimp or chicken as well.
I love love love these tofingers with spicy sweet potato fries. I discovered that it’s actually possible to make crispy ones, which is rather-earth shattering.
More on that later this week!